Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Baby Steps

With the truck facing big projects, like replacing the fuel tank and getting ready for inspection (both take time and money), there has been a slow down in the work being done. When cross-country season hits and I've gotta pick up the toddler every day and then try to get dinner and chores done, time to work on "extra" projects gets slim. It's easy to get mentally stuck on the big things that need to be done and lose hope of ever having a finished truck. When the hope fades, the work tends to stop. Well, I've still got hope. I have a goal. Couple that with trolling inspirational quotes on Pinterest, and you end up with a plan. I have a long (and growing) list of the things that need to be done, and I've decided to just keep moving forward. If, at the end of every week, I've managed to get just one thing crossed off the list - that's progress. That keeps the hope alive. If I manage to get a few things done in a week, that's even better. The process is to keep moving - baby steps or giant leaps - just keep swimming moving (sorry for the Finding Nemo reference there).
--
This is last week's baby step: charging a dead battery. Can't move the truck into the garage if it won't start. It won't start because it was used to jump start the Escape back when we had alternator failure. That, combined with the cooler temperatures recently, meant not enough juice to crank the engine long enough for the fuel pump to pull fuel up into the carb. (Darn leaky fuel system and mechanical fuel pump!) Status: Battery has been charging for three days and now shows a full charge - being maintained by the trickle charger.
 
That's one step closer to my goal of riding my sweetheart around in my cool truck next summer. (No, I don't listen to too much country music. Trucks and cute wives just naturally mix.)

1 comment:

  1. Keep going! You'll enjoy the truck when you can drive it legally and reliably! Big Orange is still sitting in the same spot in the driveway because of a few big tasks, but I'm going to take your approach and complete the little things each week!

    Rebuilding the carb will help quite a bit with the fuel drop. There are some dried gaskets and worn out diaphragm in there. I used to pour a small amount of gas into the carb throat before trying to start it (after it has been sitting awhile).

    Just keep swimming!

    ReplyDelete